Do you want to start a business?
For many people starting a business sounds expensive. Some people think you have to be rich to start a business. It is true that some businesses require a lot of startup capital. But, there are many businesses that can be started without a lot of money.
Do you have $100? Need some inexpensive business ideas?
Over the past 10 years, self-employment growth is outstripping regular employment at an amazing rate. Sometimes called freelancers or contractors are growing in numbers for several reasons. Many people find that freelancing gives them freedoms jobs could never offer.
“As of May 2015, 15.5 million people in the U.S. were self-employed, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics—an increase of roughly 1 million since May 2014. That number is expected to keep growing at a steady clip. By 2020, a separate study estimates that more than 40% of the American workforce, or 60 million people, will be independent workers—freelancers, contractors, and temporary employees.”
Many skilled individuals are tired of working for others and wanting to take the plunge into self-employment. They have ideas, drive, and a strong work ethic but often think they would need a fortune to start. You don’t need a lot of money to start a business.
Every business starts with an idea. I recommend that you read The Business Idea Factory: A World-Class System for Creating Successful Business Ideas.
Here is a list of 55 business ideas that make it easy to see how people with a small business dream can jump in with very little capital.
Some people will start their business and run it evenings and weekends for a while before leaving their regular employment.
15 businesses you can run from your home office:
- Start a blog – I make money several ways as a blogger. Do you want to start making money as a blogger? Read my free step-by-step guide on how to start a blog.
- Social media consultant – Are you a regular user of social media, comfortable with posting comments and pictures? Many business owners are not social media savvy and could use your help staying visible and up to date on line.
- Employment services – Resume writing service. The difference between getting your dream job could be the quality of your resume. Many job searchers understand that and are happy to pay someone to improve their resumes.
- Business plan service – It takes time and skills to write a business plan. Aspiring entrepreneurs are willing to pay for a professional business plan.
- Virtual Assistant – assisting other business owners with their phone calls, reservations, appointments, travel reservations etc.
- Freelance writing – You can write articles, web site content or blog content, or provide editing or proofreading service.
- Freelance design – graphic design to design websites, logos, business cards and more
- Freelance photography – weddings, events, products
- Freelance voice recording – Do you have a good voice? Freelance opportunities for voice talents are on the rise.
- Affiliate marketing consultant
- Translator – are you fluent in two or more languages. There are clients willing to pay you for your language skills.
- App Developer – Do you have experience creating apps for Android or iOS?
- Event or Party Planner – Are you that person who puts together the greatest parties? Have you been asked to do your friend’s wedding because “you are so good at it?
- Life Coach/Mentor Service – Do you have a background and training in this area? You can make a solid income coaching individuals one to one.
- Write Books or eBooks – Publishing platforms such as Amazon’s Kindle makes self-publishing easy.
9 Businesses you might run from your home – that spare room or basement could be a money maker:
- Homemade gourmet foods – Licensing required in most jurisdictions check with your city and state authorities.
- Homemade natural soaps/beauty products.
- Restored/Upcycled furniture business – Are you a thrift shopper extraordinaire? Do you have a creative streak?
- Caterer – Is cooking your passion? Do people regularly comment on how beautifully you put together meals or party food?
- eBay seller/buyer
- Picture framing
- Crafts seller – Are you a craft person? Is it time for you to get your creations online and for sale?
- E-commerce – If you are interested in starting an e-commerce business check out this article – 10 Places to Find Online Business Ideas for an E-commerce Website.
- Dropshipping e-commerce business – Checkout our interview with Anton Kraly who has built a business as a dropshipper. – you can run it from home with expenses around $100 a month to start. An example of this might be selling custom products – multiple connections with manufacturers will allow you to sell their products and make a commission.
4 Services that could be offered in your home or your clients’ homes:
- Senior home companion.
- Child care provider – Licensing required in most areas – look into your local regulations.
- Nail care.
- Foot care for diabetics and seniors.
10 Personal services – provided in the client’s home:
- Computer skills tutor – Skills and patience required to teach those who have little experience or understanding of computers.
- Errand service – Assisting busy people by handling all of their errands for them.
- Menu planning service – Busy people like someone to do this for them – they might also like the next two as well.
- Personal grocery shopping
- Personal chef
- Personal trainer – Do you have experience in health and fitness? There are many people who are too busy to take a scheduled class but would prefer a personal trainer to come to them and work with them in their own home gym.
- Internet security consultant –Do you have experience in this area? More and more individuals and small businesses are recognizing the importance of security on the net and throughout all of their online personal and business connections.
- Organization consultant – Are you super organized? Do you love taking a room from chaos to order – this business might be for you?
- Nanny service
3 Household services:
- Green cleaning service – more and more people are looking for fewer chemicals in their homes and offices. This niche is a growing one.
- Grocery delivery service – a well-organized approach, reasonable fees, your vehicle and a personable you!
- Household/office cleaning
11 Mobile services:
- Mobile bicycle repair
- Mobile small engine repair
- Mobile auto detailing
- Window cleaning service
- Cleaning out foreclosed homes
- RV cleaning business
- Power washing business
- Computer repair
- Local tour consultant
- Garage cleaning/garage sale guru
- Office plant services
4 Pet services:
Another business area that is growing is pet services. Individuals and families still enjoy their cats, dogs or other pets but as they get busier they need someone to take on the walking and sitting of their furry family members, as well as trips to the vet or the groomer.
- Dog Walking
- Pet Sitting Service
- Pet Taxi
- Dog Training
You could even grow to a fully mobile pet grooming business once you have tucked away enough money for the equipment you’ll need.
In one brief article, we’ve touched on 55 business ideas that can be started for around $100. Business ideas that range from the home office to the mobile, from personal services to those for pets, RVs, and vehicles, from those that are good for the introvert who prefers working from home to those who require an outgoing personality for sales and for working with children. Which business idea will you choose?
Latest posts by George Meszaros (see all)
- 7 Signs You Might Have The Personality to Succeed in Business - January 9, 2023
- 5 Accounting Tips That Will Help You Succeed - January 8, 2023
- Two Factor Authentication (Simply) Explained - January 7, 2023