If you are like me, you might agree that this is it. Life. Your one chance for freedom and happiness.
Many people dismiss the whole idea of freedom and happiness. It is about taking control of your life. It might sound scary at first, but it is the only way to freedom.
Do you want to go from not knowing what to do with your life to freedom?
I want to share my no B.S. approach to what it takes to have freedom. If you want me to tell you that it is easy, I am sorry, but I don’t serve that kind of junk food here. It is not easy to have a freedom lifestyle. The good news is that it is doable, and it gets easier.
The first thing to do is to get rid of your addiction to:
- Things – When was the last time that a “thing” made you happy for more than 15 minutes? There is a freedom in letting go of “things.” The buzzword is “minimalism.” You can call it anything you like. The key is to think less about owning things. In reality, you never really own things. They own you.
- Busy – Being busy is an addiction. It is easier to stay busy than to get the things done that matter. Think about how you spend your days. How much of it is busy $hit and how much of it moved you closer to freedom?
- Jobs you hate. – Do you hate your boss or the people you work with? How do you like your morning commute? What was the last time you refused to settle for a job that made you unhappy?
- Relationships that make you miserable. We have all been there, putting up with the wrong person for too long. Are you ready to surround yourself with people who bring the best out of you? Yes, those people exist.
Make a decision about what you really want.
Do you feel like that you have no choice to do the things that make you happy? Yes, you can choose.
You can choose between things and experiences. You can be in control. You can decide what you are going to do for the rest of your life.
But, you must be honest with yourself. Make a list of the happiest moments of your life. Take a pen now and write them down. Don’t stop until you have listed at least 10 great moments in your life.
How many of them involve experiences and how many of them involve buying things?
Dare to dream. You might not know what you really want today, but you can start on your journey toward freedom.
What is freedom to you?
There is freedom of time. This is the most important types of freedom to me. Freedom of time gives me a chance to enjoy the things that make me happy. We tend to fill our days with activities that keep us busy. Busy kills freedom. Busy is a missed opportunity to do the thing that matters in the moment.
Time is more valuable than money. It is the only thing in all of our lives that is irreplaceable. You can always make more money, but you will never going to be able to buy yourself another 10 years to do things that make you happy.
Financial freedom is easier than you think. I don’t mean the dishonest, get rich quick way. When you simplify your life you realize that you need a lot less money. It is true that we all need money. It is also true that the less addicted you are to things the less money you need.
Financial freedom begins with working your way toward being debt free. For many of us who are drive to a life of consumerism, living debt free seems impossible. It is doable. It is a process, but you can get there.
As you work toward a life without debt you will find that you have to make less compromises. Today, you might not be able to quit your corporate slave job. But, as you reduce your debt and minimize your expenses you might be able to work in your dream job. You will be able to find a job that might not pay the most but gives you the most.
If a job is not your thing, you can become your own boss. You could start your own business. If you love to travel, you could start a location independent business. You can travel while you make money.
Don’t get me wrong. None of this is easy. You have to make some hard decisions in the process. But, it is worth it. You will find yourself becoming a new person. A person who is no longer willing to compromise when it comes to freedom.
Imagine. What would the perfect day look like?
Where would you live if you could live anywhere? If you don’t live there now, why not. What would it take to live there? No, it is not impossible. People live there, right? That means that one day you can live there too.
What would be your perfect daily routine? How would your day start? What would be your favorite activities? How would you end each day? How much of your “perfect” activities are you doing today?
Even if you are not debt free yet. Even if you have not found your dream job. Even if you haven’t started your own business yet. Even if you are still figuring things out.
You can develop a daily routine that makes you happier.
Give It Time
As I have mentioned above. All of this will take time. None of it is easy.
Make a plan. Write it all down. Stick to your timeline. Adjust as needed. Don’t let setbacks stop you from achieving freedom.
Through your journey to freedom, you are going to have to make some hard choices. You might have to work harder for a while. You might have to eliminate many “things” from your life.
Have patience. Give yourself time. Understand that you are part of a marathon. Don’t push yourself too fast. The important thing is to take the first steps toward freedom. You have it in you.
Latest posts by George Meszaros (see all)
- Understanding P&L (Profit and Loss) Statements for Business Owners - February 24, 2017
- How To Build A Business Tasting Food Around The World – Interview with Mark Wiens - February 24, 2017
- 26 Effective Ways To Monetize Your Blog - February 23, 2017